Monday, January 5, 2009

Keara's Eye View

Today Keara has decided to do some addition, subtraction, and counting puzzles. Apparantly, she's "really good at minus, mom. Really, I can do minus mom, I can. What goes with the minus?" When she got out these puzzles I knew that my help would be needed, which I'm happy to oblige, when I'm not trying to FINALLY write some posts for my unread blog. But, I did help her separate the puzzles out so that she could do the easy ones - the ones that only require her to count and NOT do the "minus". She likes to feel like she can do "big girl stuff" on her own, so I have to rig it so she's actually doing stuff on her level. And it is "big girl stuff", for her - but she doesn't know it.

She wants to be like Tyler and Dylan and do minute math tests and spelling tests...

When the boys get home from school, she hops up to the kitchen table with them. She gets out her very own notebook which she insists is her "homework notebook" - then she looks at me, pencil in hand and says, "what's the word mom?" She's asking me to give her spelling words for crying out loud! So, I oblige and say, "dog". Keara sits, thinks hard, and starts going, "d-d-d-d-dog" all while scribbling in her "homework notebook." It's quite humorous, yet frightening all at the same time. We continue the charade - I give her spelling words, she "sounds them out" and "writes" them down. Boy oh boy...

Keara's world is far bigger than I can possibly imagine...

1 comment:

Brianna said...

I can see it. I love it.